Rise 2 Fame Youth Talent Search
2019 Capital Fair
Do you SING, DANCE or PLAY, and are between the ages of 6 and 21, then the Rise 2 Fame Youth Talent Search is looking for you!
This youth talent competition is linked with the Rise 2 Fame program across Ontario, with our winner going to the grand finals at the Western Fair (London, Ontario). Since its inception in 2010, the "search" has touched the lives of hundreds of talented youngsters from across the area and appreciative audiences have been captivated by their amazing performances. The Rise 2 Fame gives the youth in our communities a chance to perform in front of a live audience.
2019 General Rules & Regulations
1. It is strongly recommended that an act run no more than three (3) minutes. Under no circumstances may an act run more than four (4) minutes. ANY ACT RUNNING OVER 4 Minutes WILL BE DISQUALIFIED, NO EXCEPTIONS! The act is timed from the first vocal utterance in any vocal category; the first musical sound in any instrumental category; the first body movement in any dance category; the first movement, gesture, utterance or musical sound in any variety category. Timing does not include a spoken introduction.
2. Baton twirlers may enter, but acts using machetes, knives, etc., will not be accepted. No fire, smoke or smoke‐effect will be allowed on stage at any time.
3. In the Vocal categories, instrumental accompaniment by the person in the act or others is allowed, but is not judged. It must assume the pure character of accompaniment. The test shall be whether the performance would stand alone.
Note: Recorded backup may be used, subject to the restrictions in rules 4, 5 & 6. A recording (except CDs) must contain only the piece of music required for the performance, and must be cued properly. We cannot be responsible for any material which is not picked up following your performance. Please label each CD or tape with your name for identification.
4. No voice or voices, vocal utterance or synthesized vocal utterance may be used for accompaniment by contestants entered in the Vocal categories. This includes recorded live voices and voices that are produced and recorded synthetically (i.e. synthesizers or digitally sampled).
ANY BACKGROUND VOCALS = DISQUALIFICATION.
5. In the Instrumental categories, live or taped accompaniment is allowed, but must assume the pure character of accompaniment. The test shall be whether the performance would stand alone. The use of any instrument(s) for accompaniment of the same type as instrument(s) being judged is not allowed. If the playing of an electronic keyboard is to be judged, no pre‐programmed music is allowed; the contestant must create all sound live on stage.
6. In the Dance categories, accompanists are permitted on Stage but must not assume visual importance in the Performance. There must be no taps or tap effect (e.g. “rimshots”) on a taped recording used by a dancer or dancers.
7. In the Vocal and/or Instrumental Group category, any combination of vocal and/or instrumental performance will be accepted, including bands with or without vocals.
8. Solo performers who wish to be judged on any combination of singing and playing, plus all performers who wish to be judged on any combination of singing & choreography, singing & drama, etc., as well as all comedy or novelty acts, magic acts, ventriloquism acts, etc., must enter in the Variety category.
While a combination of categories is allowed, the individual rules will apply, and contestants must give sufficient prominence to each element of the performance for the judges to properly evaluate the individual talents.
9. Organizers reserve the right of final decision on any matters pertaining to the Youth or Junior Talent Search not covered by the rules.
The contest is open to non‐professional residents of Ontario only.
An act may NOT run MORE THAN 4 MINUTES.
A VOCAL ACT may not use BACKGROUND VOCALS OF ANY KIND
A DANCE ACT may not use BACKGROUND TAPS OR TAP EFFECTS.
RISE 2 FAME: Youth Talent Search (13‐21)
Youth Talent Contestants must be between the age of 13 and 21 years. The performer must be at least 13 years old and must not have reached his/her 22nd birthday on or before the opening day of the current year's Capital Fair. Proof of age may be requested.
RISE 2 FAME: Junior Talent Search (6‐12)
Junior Talent Contestants must be between the age of 6 and 12 years. The performer must be at least 6 years old and must not have reached his/her 13th birthday on or before the opening day of the current year’s Capital Fair. Proof of age may be requested.
NOTE: If a group (band/dance) is entering and the ages are split between Youth and Junior, the entire group will be placed and judged in the Youth Talent Search.
1. Vocal Solo
2. Instrumental Solo
3. Dance Solo
4. Dance Group
5. Vocal and/or Instrumental Group including bands
6. Variety Solo
7. Variety Group. (see General Rules & Regulations)
Categories of competition are for the purposes of scheduling performers, clarifying eligibility and determining judging criteria. Each act will be judged against each other act, regardless of category of performance.
All contestants will be judged on the following basis:
Natural Ability 25%
Quality of Performance 25%
Showmanship 25% and
Audience Rapport 25%**
**Audience rapport is the judges’ evaluation of how the act would be received by an appropriate, impartial audience in an appropriate setting, and is not based on the size or enthusiasm of an act’s “fan club”.
The decision of the contest judges is final, and no discussion regarding any decision shall be entered into by Youth Talent Search organizers at any time.
First Place Winner: $175.00 First Place Winner: $350.00
2nd Place Winner: $100.00 2nd Place Winner: $200.00
3rd Place Winner: $50.00 3rd Place Winner: $125.00
READ THE RULES THOROUGHLY AND CAREFULLY, AND BE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND ALL OF THEM. WHEN YOU SUBMIT THE ENTRY FORM YOU ARE INDICATING YOU HAVE DONE SO!
All required information must be filled out. Once the completed entry form is received it will be forwarded to the program coordinator.
The Gloucester Agricultural Society
Office : 613-741-3247 Fax: 613-744-2672
FAIRGROUNDS: Rideau Carleton Casino
4837 Albion Road SOUTH, Ottawa ON K1X 1A3
HOME OFFICE: 2149 Hubbard Crescent, Ottawa ON K1J 6L3
Program details subject to change without notice
THANKS TO ALL OUR SUPPORTERS!